All members are welcome to join this year’s photo contest!
The theme is “Invertebrates of Connecticut”
- Every member may submit up to two photos to ctentsoc[at]gmail.com by October 15.
- Photos will be posted on this page, along with a poll
- Voting will begin October 17
- Voting will close October 24
- Winners will be announced November 21
- Photos must feature at least one invertebrate
- Photos must be your own
- Photos must be taken in Connecticut within the past two years
- Watermarks are acceptable
- Photos must be high resolution, 300dpi, at least 10″ wide (low resolution copy will be posted here)
- Landscape orientation
- Photos may be cropped for inclusion in the calendar
- Photographer retains all rights to photographs submitted
- You may not use a photo that has been submitted in a previous year.
1. Melissa Bernardo. Spined Micrathena spider, Micrathena gracilis. Photo taken in the Hubbard Brook Preserve, Middletown, CT in July 2014.
2. Melissa Berndardo. Short-winged blister beetles, Meloe angusticollis. Photo taken in Ravine Park in Middletown, CT in September 2014.3. Steve Burian. Rare color morph of the mayfly nymph, Cinygmula subaequalis. Photo was taken at Hubbard River, CT in May 20124. Rob Clark. A Liminitis caterpillar. Photo was taken in Haddam, CT in May 2014.5. Rob Clark. A Camponotus ant tending a scale insect on Hickory. Photo was taken in Middlefield, CT in May 2014.6. Stan Malcolm. Unicorn Caterpillar, Schizura unicornis. Photo taken in Amston, Connecticut in July 20147. Flower Fly (Syrphidae) on Chicory (Chicorium intybus). Photo taken in Amston, Connecticut in July 20148. Ray Simpson. A honeybee and a Delaware Skipper. Photo taken at Sand Rd., Canaan, CT in July 20149. Ray Simpson. Great Spangled Fritillaries. Photo taken at Machimoodus State Park, Moodus, CT in July 201410. Tracey Zarillo. Honeybee, Apis mellifera. Photo taken in Hamden, CT in 2014
11. Brigette Zacharczenko. Ladybugs mating, Harmonia axyridis. Photo taken at the Hollenbeck Nature Conservancy, Falls Village, CT in September 2014. 12. Brigette Zacharczenko. A lovely tachinid fly. Photo taken at the Hollenbeck Nature Conservancy, Falls Village, CT in September 2014.13. Benedict Gagliardi. Cicada emerging from larval skin, Tibicen canicularis. Photo taken at Merrow Rd., Storrs CT in July 2014.
15. Matthew Nochisaki. Pachysphinx modesta on Tulip tree: reared from eggs of a wild caught adult, hatched to an adult male. Photo taken in South Windsor, CT in October 201416. Matthew Nochisaki. Paonias excaecatus, blinded sphinx moth caterpillar. Photo taken in South Windsor, CT in September 201417. Joanne Klein. Two-spotted bumble bee, Bombus bimaculatus. Photo taken in Guilford, CT in October 2014. 18. Joanne Klein. Jagged ambush bug, Genus Phymata (P. faciata or P. americana). Photo taken in Guilford, CT in October 2014. 19. Mike Montgomery. Female spangled skimmer, Libellula cyanea. Photo taken in Hamden, CT in June 201420. Mike Montgomery. Pale beauty, Campaea perlata. Photo taken in Hamden, CT in June 2014. 21. Mike Singer. Walking stick, Diapheromera femorata. Photo taken in Ragged Mountain Preserve in Berlin, CT in September 2014.22. Mark Smith. Formica ant compound eye. Ant collected in Haddam CT in October 2014. 23. Mark Smith. Formica ant ocelli. Ant collected in Haddam CT in October 2014.24. Mike Thomas. Male Elephant Mosquito, Toxorhynchites rutilus septentrionalis. Photo taken in Stratford, CT in September 2013.25. Mike Thomas. Leaf-cutter Bee, Anthidium oblongatum. Photo taken in Cromwell, CT in August 2013.