Here are the winners of the 2013-2014
“Our Favorite Connecticut Invertebrates” photo contest.
The winner: Mike Thomas. Common Wood Nymph (Cercyonis pegala) caught in spider web. 12 July 2012, Cromwell, CT.
- Stan Malcolm. Synchlora aerata, on Joe-Pye-weed. 17 August 2013, Cranberry Bog, East Hampton, CT.
- Raymond Simpson. Black & Yellow Argiope – Yale Outdoor Facility near Lyme, CT 8/31/13.
- Mike Singer. Papilio glaucus caterpillar, on Prunus serotina (black cherry) sapling; 1 July 2013, Miller’s Pond State Park, Middlesex Co. CT.
- Ben North. Squirrel botfly (Cuterebra emasculator) that I took a picture of this summer in my backyard in CT.
- Mike Montgomery. Syrphid fly on wood aster, 14 October 2013, Hamden, CT.
- Geoff Attardo. Dragonfly, Hamden, CT. 21 July 2013.
- Dinah Wells. Periodical cicadas, North Guilford, June 17, 2013.
- Brigette Zacharczenko. Acronicta afflicta caterpillar, reared from a wild caught adult. Storrs, CT. Summer 2013.
- Benedict Gagliardi. Publilia concava hoppers, tended by ants. CT: Tolland Co., Storrs, Merrow Meadow Park, 41°49’19.64″N, 72°18’47.10″W, 2 September, 2013.
- Gwen Antell. Monarch, Danaus plexippus, at the Marsh Botanic Garden in New Haven on August 28, 2012.
- Mike Thomas. Puritan Tiger Beetles (Cicindela puritana) in cop. 1 August 2011, beach along Connecticut River, Portland, CT.
- Stan Malcolm. Dogbane Beetle Chrysochus auratus (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae). 17 August 2013. Meadow near the Blackledge River bridge on the Air Line Trail. Colchester, CT.